I’ve got to keep this short this month, but its official it’s British summer time. It’s the perfect time to book that holiday, pull out your swim suit and sandals and to put on the factor 20, so that you can soak up the much needed vitamin D, in the form of Sunshine.
As we all seem to enjoy the season of long weekends, holidays abroad or the UK, suntans and the great outdoors, (that will be to most of you at Castlefield then), I thought it would be timely to give you my 10 best ways to get your body (or should a say Beach body?) fit for the summer.
1. Drink Water– sounds simple enough, yet it’s so difficult for so many. In school we learnt that are bodies our composed of 55-60% water, so we need to replace any that is lost during exercise or just in a hot environment.
Some of us seem to carry our water around with us or even have a glass on the desk at work, but do we actually drink enough of it?
Dehydration is so common and yet most of us don’t know we are Dehydrated. If you are dehydrated, your body will not perform at peak levels. Don’t forget that our body is mainly composed of water so we need to replace water that is depleted from the body, as well as give our body the water its needs to perform metabolic processes.
This is what all my clients at Probalance do, a simple, cheap way to stay hydrated.
We mix 250ml of concentrated Fruit juice (Orange) with 1 litre of water and 1g of sea salt (a pinch), Delicious.
2. Get your Greens In! – starting eating more salads, cook “leafy” greens. Upward reaching, leafy vegetables are blood builders and very cleansing for the liver. You can try many different ways to eat them, from Salads, sautéed, steamed and juiced.
Bulk up your fibre intake, with maybe two salads daily and you could add beans, chopped veg, etc; the greens will help to regulate your blood sugars and will help slow down any cravings for sweets.
You want to show your body that you care, so go organic and avoid consuming the harmful pesticide residues, found on some grown crops.
3. Get a gym buddy- if you have a friend/partner why not go to the gym with each other and train together. I’ve found this really helpful over the years, but another way is get a Personal Trainer? Personal Training will keep you on track and will ensure that you perform to your max, not shirking when you feel a bit tired etc? It will also encourage you to actually turn up, as , if you chose Probalance, we would text or email you encouragingly, to remind you of your upcoming appointment.
4. Get up and Go- I find the best time to train is in the morning whenever possible. When you work out at the start of the day, it decreases your appetite and stimulates the thyroid to burn calories all day long. Why not try a power walk, jogging, or swimming, or maybe a Personal Trainer? Sorry for the plug.
What you really want is to create a fat burn all day long, so start with a work out early.
5. Eat More! –Eat more meals though the day, but don’t miss the most important meal of the day, BREAKFAST?
Start with a good breakfast eg porridge, poached eggs etc. Most importantly, eat regularly, say around 3-5 meals per day, to encourage stable blood sugar levels and satiated appetite.
One thing to remember, is the diet should be balanced. If you’re eating small meals more often, you are less likely to head for the junk food.
What I mean about a balanced diet is choose high quality proteins, green leafy vegetables and complex carbs.
6. Kick Sugar to the Curb –Sugars will enter the blood stream within minutes and have harmful effect on your body, causing mood swings, weight gain, mineral depletion, heart disease, arthritis, and even more.
Most, if not all of us, have diets full of sugar, so the best way to control this is ,generally avoid white sugar, which has been though the ‘bleaching’ process and avoid my biggest hate of synthetic sugars ( sweeteners). If you have a sweet tooth like me, then introduce foods like sweet potatoes, pears, honey, maple syrup and many more.
7. Keep it Moving – the sun is out, so why not get on your bike? There are some great cycle routes now and walking along the canals/ or hiking in the hills is much more accessible. Get into the great outdoors. Make exercise fun and enjoyable.
8. The Small Stuff Counts- don’t underestimate the power of small changes. For example, don’t use the lift, use the stairs. This will ensure that you’re training without thinking about it.” Work them glutes”.
Making small changes in your diet will help you. Sometimes, however, you can change too many things too quickly and you might “insite a bodily rebellion”. That’s why most diets fail. One bad habit replaced with a one good habit is the aim.
9. Set Yourself up for Success – Get prepared. if you know you’re not going to last at the gym, get yourself a Personal Trainer and get the results you want. If you’re wanting to start running for instance, then a good pair of trainers first and join a running club rather than try to motivate yourself alone.
All you need is encouragement and a plan and motivation to stick with it and you will be a success for yourself and you’re loved ones.
10. Set a Goal- if you have a specific goal in mind, you’re more likely to stay focused and aligned with your proposed lifestyle changes.
For example, you may have booked your beach holiday for August and you want to look good or better on the beach. You need to set yourself a goal to loose ½ a stone by then for example. You have now established a goal that will help motivate you and act as a reminder for you in “times of temptation”, that you want to look like the beach god or goddess for the Summer .
With Goal setting, we can create small goals, where you can reward yourself with treats? You could say, “I’ve lost 2lbs this week, so I’m going out for a meal on Friday” Write all your goals down and break them down to monthly aims, to make them more achievable.
Hope the above is not too daunting and will help you enjoy a Healthy and Happy Summer.
If you need help, please don’t hesitate to contact me at
Probalance Personal training 0161 833 4777 E: email@example.com
Checkout our website for the best summer deals http://www.pro-balance.co.uk